Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Keitra's Birthday Party


On Wednesday, September 17th Keitra completed her first year of life! We celebrated her first birthday on Saturday, September 20. We only invited our family that lives in the area plus two friends and our house was completely full! When Ken and I were discussing all the people we wished we could have invited, we came to the conclusion that we either need a much bigger house or fewer good friends. We'll look into the house thing...

So here are pictures from the party. It's taken me almost a month to post about it because I really wanted to post videos instead of pictures. The videos we took tell the story much better, but it may take us until her next birthday to figure out what file size and format Blogger prefers for video and how to convert our HD home videos into that file type/size in Linux so for now I've reconciled myself to telling the story in still shots and typed narration...



I decided to go ahead and make the birthday cake, despite my OCD tendency to make a cake perfectly or not at all, but I vowed to keep it simple in an effort to avoid an anxiety attack. I bought two boxed cake mixes and two containers of pre-made vanilla frosting, thinking one container should fully frost one cake mix. The day of the party I discovered this was not true--I barely had enough frosting to cover the two layer 13x9 inch cake. You could still see the cake through the frosting in places and there was definitely not enough for any borders or writing. Without time to buy more frosting and not really time to make more, I improvised, as you can see by the picture. It turned out surprisingly well, considering a half hour before party time I was staving off the feeling of inevitable impending disaster...The flowers are all from our yard. They were so beautiful that I figure if I don't include any pictures of their said yard of origin, you can all remain happily ignorant of the actual state of that yard. The sunflowers are actually "weeds" that have been sprouting uninvited in our garden every year since we moved here. I admit we haven't worked very hard to keep them away...


Keitra was actually pretty nervous and unsettled with everyone watching her when it was time for the birthday cake.



It wasn't until I cut up her cake, people started getting their own cake and were not watching her as much, that she really went at it.





She was just so perfect in her little red plaid outfit and ladybug clips! Both were given to us by our friend Kami.

You can see more of the clips she makes here.


All in all the party was a great success. Keitra got a lot of loot, we relaxed, stuffed our faces and enjoyed each other's company, and apparently partied a little too hard...


6 comments:

Kami said...

How cool she wore the dress I got her on her 1st Birthday! She looks so cute! She is such a pretty girl..I can't believe how much she has grown since we have seen her last. Those clips look so cute with that dress. It sounds like you guys had a great day. The link to my etsy or blog doesn't work though..not sure where you were trying to send people :) I was going to tell you that I make baby clips now too if the bigger clips were too big for her hair still. But It looks like the ladybug clips worked out just fine!

Trisha said...

Hey, Kami, thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it so the link should work now. As for the bigger clips in her hair, I just put what little hair she has into those tiny rubberband ponytail holders and then clip the clips onto the ponytails. If you could call them that--they're more like knobs that stick up :o) I am really interested in your baby curls, as well as your pumpkin clips--I think they're so cute!

jmholloway said...

Looks like it was a great bash. Wish we lived closer to enjoy those times with you. Your cakes looks better than I could ever have done. Well done. I wish our weeds were that pretty.

Mindi :)

Katie said...

Trisha!!! How did I never know you had this blog?!?!?! This is awesome. I am so excited to see the pics and get caught up. I miss you so much. By the way you rock with wedding cakes!

Hope to talk to you sometime soon. Love you!!

Elena said...

Keitra looks just like a little china doll (buns and all) with those ladybug clips! She's so precious-everytime I show Jason the pictures of her he says, "She looks like a little doll, she's so cute!" I'm so happy you had a good party-great job on the cake too-you're amazing!

Anonymous said...

she is adorable. if I had only these pictures to go off of, I'd predict she is going to be left handed too! I love your blog.