On April 25th we celebrated the 8th anniversary of our marriage. Not pregnant, not nursing, savings in the bank, able to leave our kids (without trauma to them or us or the people caring for them) for at least a week and that much vacation time saved up from work...we were all set to take a trip or a cruise to a tropical location...until we also decided to buy a house this year.
Last year when Ken asked me what I wanted for our anniversary I said, "Something romantic with you and something I don't have to plan." Those of you who know me very well know I'm a planner and I usually love to plan events and activities; I love to take care of people and facilitate a good time but sometimes it's nice to be taken care of for a change. So he single-handedly planned a wonderful, romantic weekend for us and we decided to start taking turns planning our anniversary. Which means this year it was my turn. We had 7 days without work or kids (were we in heaven?) and I needed to make it special while spending as little money as possible.
Plan B vacation destinations: Our House, Boise, ID and a time share owned by a friend in McCall, ID. Though I would have SERIOUSLY enjoyed some exotic sunshine, the Worldmark Resort in McCall was awesome! We got off-season, middle of the week rates, so for cheaper than we could have booked a 2-star hotel we got a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, fully furnished apartment, complete with jetted tub and king-sized bed in the master bath, fully equipped kitchen and a BBQ grill on the balcony.
We ate out a few times but mostly took advantage of the groceries and snacks we brought. We enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub, watched movies, went for walks and peacefully savored the quiet side of this friendly little tourist town.
It was surreal to leave Boise's springtime weather and in just a couple hours step into a "Winter Wonderland." It ended up being very cozy and delightful, and an incredible and much needed vacation for both of us!
(The view from our balcony. It lightly snowed like this a lot of the time we were there.)
No comments:
Post a Comment