Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Our Crazy Kids

Wednesday, June 18, 2008: Keitra is crawling all over the place, pulling up to standing on the furniture and walking along the furniture. Encouraged by her brother, she is very adventurous. She even crawls on the sidewalk in shorts in her efforts to explore. Sometimes when she's trying to crawl in a difficult situation such as on the sidewalk or wearing a dress she will lift up her right knee and crawl a few steps with her left knee and right foot. Some of you may remember that Corban crawled this way from the beginning, and still crawls that way to this day. We call it the monkey crawl, and I've been very curious to see if Keitra would do it, since Corban's cousin (Ken's brother Tony's son) also crawled with the monkey crawl. Most of the time, however, she scoots around on all fours like a normal child.

In May she got her two front teeth, for a total of four teeth all together. Then around the beginning of June the two teeth on either side of the top two teeth broke through, as well as one to the side of the two bottom teeth (those have been in since 4 1/2 months). So now she has 7 teeth in her darling grin. She's still petite, delicate and adorable...and at 9 months she's still in 3-6 month clothes, although she'll be out of them pretty soon. Both kids have been very interested in details, but in different ways. Yesterday Keitra noticed some ants on the sidewalk and tried to play with them. She also notices every little thing on the floor, picks it up and tries to eat it. For the first time since we moved into this house I've been really cursing our wonderful carpet that hides everything because I can't see how dirty it is--but Keitra does. What a change that is from Corban. He noticed details of things, but hardly ever picked up things from the carpet. And around 9 months he stopped putting things in his mouth at all that weren't food.


Some of Corban's most delightful (and embarrassing) developments these days have to do with the words that come out of his mouth. Some of my favorite quotes from the last few months:
4-14: "I'm peering at you!"
4-21: Me--"Corban, why did you put a string in the fridge?" Corban--"It's string cheese!" (laughs riotously).
4-26: Stopping me as I walked into the kitchen, "What's your intention!"

In this picture, he's pretending to be a bird and folding his "wings" in so he can walk instead of flying. (The mustache is barley grass juice).

A couple weeks ago we had a long day shopping and as I settled into my seat in the car to take us home, I sighed and said, "Good heavens!" Then I laughed at that expression and said, "good heavens, bad heavens..." To which Corban immediately responded, "Good heavens, bad heavens? What is 'good heavens, bad heavens?' All the heavens are good!" No kidding! He's very analytical.

Then, just the other day on June 9th, as Daddy was walking out the door to work, Corban said, "I offered to go with him..." He seems to have a knack for language and loves to learn and use big/unusual words.

1 comment:

Shaun R. said...

What smart, cute kids!