Saturday, May 17, 2008

Our Ward Pinewood Derby

Our ward had a Pinewood Derby Saturday night. Usually a Pinewood Derby is for cub scouts, but this event was for the whole ward, young and old, male and female. The usual set of rules applied and the races were divided into age groups, so that the kids competed against other kids of similar age, and the adults all competed against each other. My brother Ammon called us up Saturday morning wondering what we were up to that night and if we wanted to hang out. We said, "Sure--you want to help make a Pinewood Derby car?"




Ken bought a kit so he could make a car with which to compete and, in keeping with his practical, no-frills personality (and due to his huge lack of discretionary time until very recently when classes ended for the semester), he pretty much took the block of wood, put the wheels on, wrote "front" and "back" on opposite ends and taped pocket change onto the back until the "car" met the weight limit.


Corban had a great time! He watched the cars race down the track with intense interest and a myriad of emotions.

Keitra was mostly thrilled that someone was holding her! She got really excited by all the pandemonium, growling, babbling and squealing into the general uproar.

4 comments:

Shaun R. said...

I love the car. I especially like the front and back labels. Now that's about my level of handiwork abilities. Did it win any races?

Trisha said...

It did pretty well, actually. It didn't make the top six but it came through with pretty competitive times.

Kami said...

What fun..I loved going to the pinewood Derby as a kid..I hope our ward will have one! I can't believe how big Keitra is getting..she is so cute in the picture with your brother..i love her 2 little teeth :)

jmholloway said...

You guys are so cool. We miss hanging out with ya'll.