Some of you may already know that I love to decorate cakes. This delight is left over from the days when I used to decorate ice cream cakes as part of my high school job working at Baskin Robbins. I have even done a few wedding cakes--6 total over the last 6 years. Most recently, I did a wedding cake for my brother-in-law's brother Chris Ormond's wedding reception this last Saturday. When I went to set up the cake I was delighted to run into my brother-in-law Rob Ormond, who had flown in from the Cayman Islands where he's currently going to Vet School to be at his brother's wedding. I actually had no idea he was coming so it was especially neat to see him.
The cake was small for a wedding cake--the top two-layer tier being 6" in diameter and the bottom tier, 10" in diameter. I knew the Ormonds were trying to stick to a budget and since they're practically family, I only charged them for the flowers and ingredients. I wonder what a cake like this costs from a professional...I'm definitely not a professional!
You can't really tell from this picture, but the frosting is actually pale pink, while the squiggles and shell borders are pure white. The whole thing took about eight hours, spread out over the week before, four cake mixes and about 8 cups of butter cream frosting and almost $20 worth of flowers. It was literally a creative work of art, coming together under my fingertips, thrilling and terrifying to be a part of! I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to cakes and there has been a point or two in the creation process of almost every cake I've ever made during which I have no idea how I'm going to make the thing come out looking good. And when it's a wedding cake, there's a lot more at stake if I ruin it. But I guess part of the thrill is overcoming the obstacles and making it look beautiful anyway!
4 comments:
How funny, I decorate cakes, too! Though, I've never done a wedding cake. But I regularly do elaborate birthday cakes. Sometimes I do a 'I just felt like making a cake' cake. Yours is beautiful. I'm not anywhere near as good as you. But it's fun :) Well done, love!
Trisha, I have decided you are good at everything. That cake is beautiful. You are an amazing women. I have a lot to learn from you. Hey when do you want to do our play date?
That cake is perfection! Oh my goodness.
wow, that's gorgeous. good work
Post a Comment